Article(s) published in the ECOG eBook:
Prof. Donal O’ Shea, MB, BCh, BAO, MD, FRCPI, FRCP (UK)
Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus Department
St. Vincent’s University Hospital
Career Profile (Education and Employment)
1989 MB BCh BAO University College Dublin
1996 MD, Imperial College School of Science, Medicine and Technology, London
Details of Current Posts Held
Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, St Vincent’s University Hospital and St Columcille’s Hospital, Dublin.
Associate Professor of Medicine, University College Dublin.
Head of the Obesity Research Group, Education and Research Centre, St Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin
1987. Auditor University College Dublin Medical Society.
1988. University College Dublin Medical Society President’s Prize
1989. UCD and Mater Hospital Leonard Prize in Medicine
1993. Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship
1996. Patrick M Meenan UCDMGA Inaugural Research Medal
1998. Norman Plummer Prize for Postgraduate Clinical Research
1999. Imperial College School of Medicine Undergraduate Teacher of the Year
2006. Irish Endocrine Society O’Donovan Medal for group’s research activity
2003-2008 & 2010 UCD Premier Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence
Peer Reviewed Funding
- Five Newman Scholarships Awards for post-doctoral scientists through UCD Foundations, 4 funded by Sanofi-Aventis: Obesity, immune dysfunction and chronic inflammation. 2006-2008 (Dr Lydia Lynch), 2008 – 2010 (Dr Andrew Hogan), 2011-2013 (Dr Conor Woods), 2013-2015 (Dr Laura Tobin). One scholarship was funded by Ipsen; 2011-2013 (Dr G Gaoatswe). Value €95,000 each.
- Diabetes Federation of Ireland Health Research Board Project Grant 2006 – 2008. Adipocyte size and type 2 diabetes in obesity; a study of patients undergoing bariatric surgery. Value €181,000.
- Health Research Board Clinical Research Training Fellowship 2007-2009. Metabolically healthy obese and adipose tissue inflammation. Principal Supervisor. Applicant Dr Jean O’Connell. Value €183,000.
- Irish Heart Foundation Project Grant, 2009–2011. Smoking and the development of diabetes. Value €156,000
- National Children’s Research Centre Obesity Consortium Project Grant 2011-2014. Chronic inflammation and innate immune cell dysregulation in obese children and adolescents. Value €234,756
- Paediatric SpR funded for 2 years to complete MD on the CRC-funded project, Value €120,000
Research and Mentoring
Thus far in my clinical research career I have established a consistent publication record in the fields of obesity and diabetes, with over 75 publications to date. In recent times my research group has published articles on the immune effects that the above conditions elicit.
I have now supervised 4 clinicians (Dr’s Khatib, Abusnana, Cawood and O’Connell) to completion of their PhD and 1 to completion of his MD (Dr Bashir). I have 4 clinicians registered for their PhD (Dr’s Woods, Ahern, Gaoawste and Carolan) and 2 for an MD (Dr’s Kattak & Armin). Dr Eirin Carolan and her successor Dr Meenal Mavinkurve, have undertaken research paediatric obesity research projects in collaboration with Dr Declan Cody of Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital. With Dr Brian Kirby, I have co-supervised a dermatologist (Dr Anne Marie Tobin) for her PhD and with Prof Walter Mc Nicholas, I am co-supervising Dr Brian Kent for his PhD. Both attended and presented their experimental/trial plans at our weekly meeting. I have supervised two dietitians in our unit to completion of their Masters (Alison Quinn and Lorraine Cooney). I am especially pleased that another of our dietitians, Cathy Breen, has taken time out to undertake a PhD. She has completed her PhD transfer and is in the final year of her studies and had 3 publications based on her PhD project. At present, I have 3 postdoctoral scientists (Dr Andrew Hogan, Dr Michelle Corrigan and Dr Laura Tobin). My current students are on track for successful completion of their PhD/MDs, with excellent opportunity for publication.
- Ahern T, Khattak A, O’Malley E, Dunlevy C, Kilbane M, Woods C, McKenna MJ, O’Shea D.Association Between Vitamin D Status and Physical Function in the Severely Obese.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Apr 15:jc 20141704.PMID:24735426.
- Breen C, Ryan M, McNulty B, Gibney MJ, Canavan R, O’Shea D.High saturated-fat and low-fibre intake: a comparative analysis of nutrient intake in individuals with and without type 2 diabetes.Nutr Diabetes. 2014 Feb 3;4:e104. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2014.2.PMID: 24492470 [PubMed]Related citations
- Carolan E, Hogan AE, Corrigan M, Gaotswe G, O’Connell J, Foley N, O’Neill LA, Cody D, O’Shea D. The impact of childhood obesity on inflammation, innate immune cell frequency and metabolic microRNA expression.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jan 1:jc20133529. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 24423308 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- Hogan AE, Gaoatswe G, Lynch L, Corrigan MA, Woods C, O’Connell J, O’Shea D.Glucagon-like peptide 1 analogue therapy directly modulates innate immune-mediated inflammation in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetologia. 2013 Dec 21. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 24362727 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- Breen C, Ryan M, Gibney MJ, Corrigan M, O’Shea D.Glycemic, insulinemic, and appetite responses of patients with type 2 diabetes to commonly consumed breads. Diabetes Educ. 2013 May-Jun;39(3):376-86. doi: 10.1177/0145721713479675. Epub 2013 Mar 12.
- O’Shea D, Corrigan M, Dunne MR, Jackson R, Woods C, Gaoatswe G, Moynagh ON, O’Connell J, Hogan AE. Changes in Human dendritic cell number ans function in severe obesity may contribute to increased susceptibility to viral infection. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 Feb 26;doi:1038/ijo. PMID 23439322.
- Farah N, Hogan AE, O’Connor N, Kennelly MM, O’Shea D, Turner MJ.Correlation between maternal inflammatory markers and fetomaternal adiposity. Cytokine. 2012 Oct;60(1):96-9. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2012.05.024. Epub 2012 Jun 20.
- Lynch L, Nowak M, Varghese B, Clark J, Hogan AE, Toxavidis V, Balk SP, O’Shea D, O’Farrelly C, Exely MA. Adipose tissue invariant iNKT cells protect against diet-induced obesity and metabollic disorder through regulatory cytokine production. Immunity. 2012 Sept 21;37(3):547-87. PMID 22981538.
- Macananey O, O’Shea D, Warmington SA, Green S, Egaña M.Gymnasium-based unsupervised exercise maintains benefits in oxygen uptake kinetics obtained following supervised training in type 2 diabetes. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Aug;37(4):599-609. Epub 2012 May 7.
- O’Connor E, Kiely C, O’Shea D, Green S, Egaña M.Similar level of impairment in exercise performance and oxygen uptake kinetics in middle-aged men and women with type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012 Jul 1;303(1):R70-6. Epub 2012 Apr 25.
- Ahern T, Tobin AM, Corrigan M, Hogan A, Sweeney C, Kirby B, O’Shea D. Glucagon-like-peptide-1 analogue therapy for psoriasis patients with obesity and type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2012 Jun 13 [Epub ahead of print]
- Sahebally SM, Burke JP, O’Shea D, Geoghegan J.The effect of gastric band slippage on patient body mass index and quality of life. Obes Surg. 2012 May;22(5):773-6.
- Hogan AE, Corrigan MA, O’Reilly V, Gaoatswe G, O’Connell J, Doherty DG, Lynch L, O’Shea D.Cigarette smoke alters the invariant natural killer T cell function and may inhibit anti-tumor responses. Clin Immunol. 2011 Sep;140(3):229-35. Epub 2011 Feb 2.
- Hogan AE, Tobin AM, Ahern T, Corrigan MA, Gaoatswe G, Jackson R, O’Reilly V, Lynch L, Doherty DG, Moynagh PN, Kirby B, O’Connell J, O’Shea D. Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and the regulation of human invariant natural killer T cells: lessons from obesity, diabetes and psoriasis.Diabetologia. 2011 Nov;54(11):2745-54. Epub 2011 Jul 9.
- Sahebally SM, Burke JP, O’Shea D, Geoghegan J. The Effect of Gastric Band Slippage on Patient Body Mass Index and Quality of Life. Obes Surg. 2011 Oct 20. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22012490.
- Mac Ananey O, Malone J, Warmington S, O’Shea D, Green S, Egaña M.Cardiac output is not related to the slowed O2 uptake kinetics in type 2 diabetes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jun;43(6):935-42.
- O’Connell J, Lynch L, Hogan A, Cawood TJ, O’Shea D.Preadipocyte factor-1 is associated with metabolic profile in severe obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Apr;96(4):E680-4. Epub 2011 Jan 20.
- Brogan A, Hevey D, O’Callaghan G, Yoder R, O’Shea D. Impaired decision making among morbidly obese adults.J Psychosom Res. 2011 Feb;70(2):189-96. Epub 2010 Nov 19.
- Abbasakoor NO, Healy ML, O’Shea D, Maguire D, Muldoon C, Sheahan K, O’Toole D.Metastatic insulinoma in a patient with type 2 diabetes mellitus: case report and review of the literature. Int J Endocrinol. 2011;2011:124078. Epub 2011 Feb 10.
- MacAnaney O, Reilly H, O’Shea D, Egaña M, Green S.Effect of type 2 diabetes on the dynamic response characteristics of leg vascular conductance during exercise. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2011 Jan;8(1):12-21.
- Judge EP, Phelan D, O’Shea D.Beyond statin therapy: a review of the management of residual risk in diabetes mellitus. J R Soc Med. 2010 Sep;103(9):357-62.
- Cawood TJ, Bashir M, Brady J, Murray B, Murray PT, O’Shea D.Urinary collagen IV and πGST: potential biomarkers for detecting localized kidney injury in diabetes–a pilot study. Am J Nephrol. 2010;32(3):219-25. Epub 2010 Jul 20.
- Tobin AM, Veale DJ, Fitzgerald O, Rogers S, Collins P, O’Shea D, Kirby B.Cardiovascular disease and risk factors in patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2010 Jul;37(7):1386-94. Epub 2010 May 15.
- O’Connell J, Kieran P, Gorman K, Ahern T, Cawood TJ, O’Shea D. BMI > or = 50 kg/m2 is associated with a younger age of onset of overweight and a high prevalence of adverse metabolic profiles.Public Health Nutr. 2010 Jul;13(7):1090-8. Epub 2010 Jan 26.
- Pratley RE, Nauck M, Bailey T, Montanya E, Cuddihy R, Filetti S, Thomsen AB, Søndergaard RE, Davies M.Liraglutide versus sitagliptin for patients with type 2 diabetes who did not have adequate glycaemic control with metformin: a 26-week, randomised, parallel-group, open-label trial; 1860-LIRA-DPP-4 Study Group. Lancet. 2010 Apr 24;375(9724):1447-56.